Computer Crime Research Center


Computer Crime Unit rescues girl

Date: June 24, 2008

AUGUSTA (June 23): The following news was compiled for the Maine Department of Public Safety by the Public Information Office:

Exceptional work by the Maine State Police Computer Crime Unit resulted in a recent rescue of a nine-year-old Georgia girl who reportedly had been sexually abused for the four years. Images of the abuse had reportedly been posted on the Internet. The case was broken open after computer crime personnel, led by examiner Dawn Ego, tracked the manufacturer of a bedspread in a hotel room seen in one of the images. That led to a Georgia hotel, its guest list and the identity of the Georgia man now facing federal charges.

Fire marshals said they have not pinpointed the cause of a mobile home fire earlier this month in Millinocket that killed a woman. Sgt. Ken Grimes said the fire started in a front workshop room of the home, which is where the woman died. The room was reportedly cluttered; indications are the fire was accidental.

Fifty-five Explorer Scouts will be at the Maine Criminal Justice Academy this week to learn about law enforcement. The young men and women between the ages of 14 and 20 will take part in a curriculum that includes defensive tactics, death investigation, patrol and felony stops, crime scene processing, interview and interrogation, police ethics and several other hands-on activities. Cadets will also ride with area law enforcement officers. The training will end Friday, June 27, with a graduation and a career fair featuring local, municipal, county, state and federal law enforcement agencies. Trooper Brianne Petrini, who attended the Explorer program at the academy, will be the graduation speaker. Trooper Mike Chavez is an organizer of the program.

Maine State Police said a Lubec woman was wounded inside her home recently by a ricocheted bullet. Dawn Lyons reportedly suffered a minor laceration after being struck by a.22-caliber bullet, apparently fired by a neighbor. Trooper Barry Curtis said the neighbor reportedly was target practicing at frogs and a bullet ricocheted off the water. The case is being reviewed by the District Attorney’s Office.

Maine State Police Troopers recently arrested a woman along the southern end of the Maine Turnpike after she was clocked driving 117 mph. Police had been looking for the Toyota RAV4 after a report was made to police that the woman might be suicidal. Troopers were on a speed enforcement detail when the car sped by them. A two-mile chase ended near mile 19.

The man charged with murder in the recent stabbing death of a man in Auburn was returned to Maine. Ryan Muncey, accompanied by two Maine State Police detectives, flew into the Manchester, N.H. airport early Wednesday morning. He was taken to Androscoggin County Jail in Auburn. Muncey and his girlfriend were arrested in Illinois. The girlfriend was released; no charges are anticipated against her.

Last week’s standoff in New Gloucester involving a man barricaded inside a home was the 20th call of 2008 for the Maine State Police Tactical Team. Commander Nick Grass said recently the team has annually been called out between 45 and 50 times. Early Tuesday morning, 22 members of the team and four negotiators responded to the scene after a woman had reportedly been assaulted and fled the house. After dozens of text messages and phone calls with negotiators, Dennis Voter surrendered about 6 a.m.

This month’s previously scheduled July 25 meeting of the Maine Gambling Control Board has been canceled because of a light agenda.

Add comment  Email to a Friend

Copyright © 2001-2013 Computer Crime Research Center
CCRC logo