Ukrainian Anti-virus Center: The Results of Virus Activity
By Vladimir Golubev
Date: July 16, 2003
Results of studying the virus attacks for 6 months 2003 have shown: the activity of virus-makers became more boisterous, their educational level has increased, their creations become more and more refined. Summing up, it is possible to say, that distributed Internet viruses are capable to penetrate into all elements of corporate information infrastructure, attacking both the software, and the equipment. According to Ukrainian Anti-virus Center the quantity of reports on virus attacks has grown in 15% for the first six months 2003. The most dangerous viruses were I-Worm.Tanatos.b, I-Worm.Lentin, I-Worm.Sobig, I-Worm. Klez.
The chronology of the most malicious viruses in this year is the following:
- January 2003: The epidemics of network worms I-Worm.Avron and Worm.SQL.Helkern^;
- February 2003: The epidemic of new updating post / network worm I-Worm.LovGate which were distributed in the West most of all (several cases have been fixed in Ukraine)^;
- March 2003: New updating of network worm CodeRed (IIS-Worm. CodeRed.f)^;
- The Beginning of summer 2003: The epidemic of post worm I-Worm.Tanatos.b^;
- July 2003: splash in activity of new updating post worm I-Worm. Sobig.
The conducted analysis shows that e-mail is basic source of infection, and distribution of viruses by email has mass epidemiological character.
Computer Crime Research Center
^macro[showdigestcomments;^uri;Ukrainian Anti-virus Center: The Results of Virus Activity]